Friday 30 March 2012

A Knitter's Conundrum

There has been very little of anything this week.  I don't know why, but it just hasn't been a week where there was a lot of time for knitting.

The most significant progress has been on one of the ongoing socks.  They are really pretty socks, but they are after all, just a tube and while very worthy of much long talk and discussion in my books, not that different than the last 3 times I showed you pictures of them.  

I am quite willing to keep working on socks.  Its kind of nice to simply work on that most basic of knitted things.  A sock makes no demands, asks few questions, and is quite content to simply be knit without any expectation of fame or fortune.  A sock after all ends up inside shoes.  A less glamourous life is hard to imagine.  Yet a sock is content to just be.  

I'm looking forward to having this sock be finished.  I love its red striped soulful look.  But as ever, socks are not just enjoyed.  

The bottom line is that I need socks and my sock drawer is taking a kicking right now.  Some of my favourite oldies are wearing thin and developing wee holes.  Some of them are old enough that making patches, and darning isn't really extending their wear all that much.  They are just sprouting holes on other spots. The holes are sometimes sprouting holes for good measure. 

I spend an unreasonable amount of time thinking about cutting worn socks off and knitting a whole new set of feet.  Stop me.  It looks odd and with the short cuffs I prefer, it isn't that great a time saver or yarn extender.  

It is completely possible that the next few weeks are just going to be sock weeks. I have 2 finished pair in the basket waiting for heels and with this pair and at least one more, I will be back up to a bearable sock drawer level.  Still, socks might end up being a spring long project.  

I hope not.  There are so many other good things to knit.  And yet, I am looking forward to it.  

And that is this knitter's conundrum.

No comments: