Wednesday 21 March 2012

Packing my bags

I'm going to a knitting retreat this weekend.  Just a small retreat, 10 people IIRC.  I am really looking forward to it, but I am wondering what to pack.

I should be knitting on the sweater.  I will in fact take the sleeves along and will work on them but I don't want to be tied to a pattern when we are trying to visit and knit or knit and visit as the case may be.  The rest of the sweater will have to wait.

There are always socks to take along, in fact there is one set I that is hitting a time crunch and I need to get it off to its new owner.  There are several additional sets to choose from for no thinking knitting.

There is the shawl.  There is a lot of garter stitch on the center of it and I anticipate it will be the bulk of my get away knitting.  

But I feel as if there should be something more.  Something with a big challenge for when I need to just have a quiet space and time.  Whenever I go knitting anywhere, there are so many amazing ladies, knitting such incredible patterns, such complicated stitching.  I find it such a struggle to do that but I would like to try.  I think I am going to take my pretty little Forest mittens.  Its looks like very complicated knitting but is fairly simple, and so far the patterning has been basic.  I am about 1/3 way up the palm on the first mitten.  Not much I know, in what I thought would be a year of colour work, but it is what it is.

I might take along a few balls of yarn to swatch too.  Or maybe that bag of cotton that has been thrice started for sweaters.  Maybe I will start another!  I mean what if I can't find anything else to knit?

I'm taking along some books too, just in case I need to fill in the holes. And some magazines.  Maybe I should take that large knitting bag of yarn for another afghan?  What if I run out... 

Yeah, the idea of a weekend retreat of just knitting away from my usual haunts, is making me batty.  

I wonder if I am trying to recreate my study?  My study is my safe place, and is my home for knitting.  It might not make sense but surrounding myself with these things is part of my picture of a perfect weekend.  Well, that and the cook.  

No dishes, someone else to cook for me, good company, and a lot of knitting.  Yup.  Perfect weekend on the horizon.

3 comments:

Sigrun said...

I wish I could join you.

Anonymous said...

Have fun! I'm getting close to doing one of those with scrapbooking. GD

Brendaknits said...

I.Am. So. Jealous. I have alwyas wanted to go on a knitting retreat but there has alwyas been something that prevented it from happening. Money, distance, timing.

Have a wonderful time.