Tuesday 1 January 2013

First Morning



I woke this morning thinking how warm and cozy I was and how lucky I am and how I am blessed with family and friends. What a lovely way to wake. So I snuggled in and put some of my Christmas gifts into the dvd and stayed cozy for a while. 

Then I got up to make some coffee and do the dishes, just ordinary daily tasks and chores. 

Surely there is something profound in this sublime and yet utterly ordinary start to a new year?

I am giving my hands a bit of a break this morning.  I have been knitting so much with heavy yarns these last few days, they are done.  I will be sticking to nothing more than lace  or sock yarn for a few days and working slowly at that.  

But then isn't sock knitting the perfect thing for a day that started so well?  Perfectly ordinary and yet utterly sublime.

"two socks as soft as rabbits.
I slipped my feet into them
as if they were two cases
knitted with threads of twilight and goatskin,"


(Pablo Neruda, Ode to my Socks)

No comments: