Thursday 16 October 2014

CBC Radio Two, my regular in car radio radio channel, sadly, no longer has my favourite radio guy of all time, Tom Allen, on the radio in the morning drive time, and the drive home sounds more and more like regular radio, except for less talk, better news, no asinine games, and  a lot more music than an average radio station.  If it still played classical during drive time, it would be the perfect radio station.  

More and more often, I listen to dvd and yet, I have to remember and remind myself that keeping an open radio can be illuminating. The most amazing thing happened last week.  

You know how, when you are driving along listening to the radio, you think, 'I have to remember that song so I can look it up'.  Invariably, you forget it and never ever give that song a thought again.  

Well, that happened to me last week.  Only I remembered the song and looked it up. And it stays with me still.


I didn't catch who the singers were. It really didn't seem to matter. it touched the heart of me and I could not stop listening to it. I watched the video a dozen times.  It captures something so clearly, something I could not put words to, so clearly and effortlessly simply.  

After a stressful morning at work, I turned it on and played it at lunchtime.  In order not to weird out the whole floor, I played a couple of the other videos that were sitting there at the side. And that is when it hit me.

Pink.  I am listening to Pink. I only know her from general pop culture where she looked pretty edgy and those ads for makeup where they play on that edge.  I knew she was a singer.  That really was it.  Music?  Nada. Now?  I am a fan.  Big fan.  Of Pink.   And whatever alter ego she wishes to be.

And City in Colour.  At least I knew some of these songs and know the voice.  A fan?  Not really, just something I heard on the radio. Or his former band, Alexisonfire.  Knew them but not really familiar with the music.  Just knew it was Canadian. Nice enough I suppose. Now a very big fan.  Big fan.  BIG FAN.

So, there you have it.  Keep the lines open.  Look and listen.  You never know where inspiration, where consolation, where that thing that illuminates who and where you are, will come from.

You + Me   Rose Ave.  Dallas Green and Alecia Moore


No comments: