Thursday 22 January 2015

What with all the finishing

What with all the finishing on the weekend, I did a fair bit of digging in the WIP boxes.  I have become reacquainted with what was in there. All the Viajante knitting lately and the pleasure I am having working on that, made me wonder about and take a look at the lace weight projects that have been sitting for a very long time.

My very lovely and still much coveted Bridgewater.  I worked so hard to find enough yarn.  I did a search for dyelots and found a source in the very sweet wheatfran who happened to have the lot I needed.  It really is the perfect colour.  

I worked on this shawl and then had a problem with the garter stitch.  I kept dozing off as I was knitting and you can screw up garter stitch badly if you knit when you are sleeping.  Funny that.  I have a couple of inches I have to take back because of multiple errors.  I started this in November of 2012, whole lifetimes ago.  I need to pull this out and work on it again.

And then this brilliant lacy thing.  Zauberball lacewieght and a casual Icarus, one of a pair I started in 2010. February to be precise.  5 years.  

I had mentally put this one to my frog it pile, but now that I look at it, I wonder why.  In my head, it was small and knit on needles that were too fine.  I had the idea that it wasn't even going to be wearable as a small shawl.  Boy is that ever wrong.  Once I finish it and block it, it is going to be truly stunning. And plenty large!  I do have to rip back to the start of the second chart to fix an error, according to my notes, but that isn't any biggie.  This joyful thing is going to be worked on and finished very soon.

I think I once said that knitting these colours in the middle of winter, was the perfect antidote to the dark and it is.   

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

There's something special about resurrecting long neglected WIP's. My longest was 9 years and boy did it feel fantastic to finish that one. Can't wait to see how these turn out!

pattie in Geneseo said...

I've been working on old WIPs since November...and will be for the foreseeable future. It is satisfying to either frog or continue to bindoff. After all, each of these projects were started with excitement and hope! And I have you beat on OLD Projects: one I am currently knitting was started in 1999!
Good luck with your Finishing-itis!