Thursday 3 September 2015

One thing a day

Some days I struggle to find something to write about.  Some days I struggle to not write about every living thing under the sun.  I have a funny feeling that everyone who writes at all starts to feel this way after a while.

Today is a much stuff kind of day. I will resist because some things deserve to have in depth coverage.  Today I shall restrain myself.  Which makes me want to laugh like a loon.

I knit the whole day away yesterday.  It was gray and cloudy all day so the motivation to clean my windows left as rapidly as it came. (This won't surprise my mom at all!)  I could have knit on those thousand things that are important like sweaters or little kids things, but I knit on this.


Its just a shopping bag but I am really having enormous fun with it.  Plus it is using up large amounts of the cotton.  I think that is really what this is about.  It sure isn't about having a shopping bag.  I have those.  It sure isn't about loving the yarn.  I like it but I don't love it.  What I really am enjoying is watching the ball creep lower with every row.


I started on straps, but I might go back and knit a little more of the purse stitch to make the bag a little longer.  It's about 12 inches right now and with the clear light of morning, I have a feeling that might be a little short.  I need an intermediate bag.  Something in between what could just go in my purse and the big bags you carry groceries with.  12 inches might be a little short for those days when you shop with a list of errands and come home with a packet of nails, a couple spools of thread, your books from the library and the household mail. That is the sort of bag I need.  15 inches will probably be better.  May 18 inches.

Purse stitch, by the way is a simple lace.  Its very similar to what Donna Druchanas used on the Myliu Lino pattern, a combination of yarn overs and purl 2 together.  Depending on how you are knitting, it can stack or it can offset.  Knitting in the round, it offsets, making it perfect for a bag. Its a lovely thing to work when you want quiet well behaved knitting. 

There.  That's it for today.  A dozen different things all wanting to burst out, but today, you will just get one.  

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

Ha I know exactly what you mean about writing. Exactly!