Thursday 21 September 2017

Tea and a Not Needing Perfection

I did finish my tea cozy!


It worked just as I knew it would.  It extended the life of my pot of hot tea by hours.

 And then I worked on tying my throw.  This is actually the perfect thing to be doing right now.  The weather has been cold and wet, part rain, very small part snow, but completely miserable.  The only really good place to be is sitting under your blankie or a very large knitting project.

So I am.  Under my blankie that is.  I didn't work on it nearly enough yesterday, so today is going to have to show a concerted effort to have it done by days end.  Days end may have to be extended in order to get there.  

I decided not to worry so much about perfectly spaced ties.  I know that this imperfect placement of knots would drive many of you, most of you, nuts, but I am just not built that way.  I don't think I ever was and rather than feeling it is a flaw as I did for so many years, I have decided that it is a quirk and therefore just part of me.  

It is actually not that I am not interested in perfection, but that I put perfection to a different place than many and this isn't it for a couple of reasons.  First, this is a throw.  It's job is to keep my feet warm.  It is needed fairly urgently and will only very very rarely be seen by anyone else in it's lifetime (which will be long, I hope) and my toes do not care if it is perfect.  Second, I have nothing in the arsenal that remains to me, that would have made marking a grid on the topper a quick and easy task.  I used to have 2 yard sticks that could have done the job well, but I have no idea where they are now.  I thought I had them at my wee house, but they don't seem to have migrated here with me.  Third, I'd have to set up my big folding table to mark on and I just really didn't want the lazy bother.  Yeah, that says it right. Lazy was actually the deciding factor.

So I am eyeballing it and feel pretty good about it.  The fabric has a placement of designs in rows that is acting as a rough guide and that is good enough to be getting on with. For me. I'm good to go.

This is one of the reasons why I love knitting so much.  It is so fluid that it can adapt so easily to imperfections, that imperfection repeated, can sometimes lead to amazing results.  It can also lead to total crap, but that is part of the fun and the continual learning that knitting is.  

I've been thinking quite a bit about perfection this week.   It's because I'm actually trying to avoid imperfection, but I will save the rest of that story.  Today, it is time to go and put in a dvd and settle in for the long sew.

No comments: