Monday 18 September 2017

Hitting the Books?



The tea cozy remains in it's partially finished state.  Like most in between projects, it diverted me, but did not fulfill me in the same way this shawl does.  

I spent Friday and Saturday visiting and playing with grandkids.  Sunday I came home and watched the Singapore Grand Prix and all of season 4  of Endeavour again (PVR - video comes out in October, I think) and while I watched, I knit.  If you are looking for a sport to knit too, there is nothing better than Grand Prix.  Baseball is ok, but Grand Prix is the bomb. And Endeavour?  What can I say but once again, the finest TV is British made TV.

I knit and knit and knit, and I am now on the last of the colour changes.

  
I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the gradient.  And the purple?  Perfection.

I thought it would be interesting to show you how much yarn I used for a border colour.  This grey is what I used as CC2.  Its colour 12, Medium Grey.


As you can see, not a lot, about 1/4 of the generous skein of Briggs and Little Sport.  Each colour will use about the same amount, so I am going to have plenty left over for something for me!

Soon, I have to sit down and decide if I like the size of it now, or if a larger edging is needed.  I am looking for a shawl of size.  Even a large square shawl can feel small, if it isn't large enough to wrap it over your chest and keep it closed nicely.  It's why these shawls from a photo in the Shetland museum archive are so very large.  

This afternoon, I want to pin out one side to check what I have so far for size and then I will plan out the edge.  If, by knitting a larger center, I got where I wanted to be, I'll go with the pattern as written.  If I need a little more size, I'll hit the books in search of just the right thing.

This shawl is meant for warmth as well as looks and so far, I am winning at both. Captivating knitting. 

No comments: